Friday 30 March 2012

Pros and Cons of Oxygen

A neutron walks into a bar. He asks the bartender, "How much for a beer?" The bartender offers him a warm smile and say, "For you, no charge."


Hey I'm oxygen, but you probably already knew that by now. You might not see me around, but I'm used for more than what you think I am. Here are things you need to know, or maybe you just forgot.


For conditions like emphysema and pneumonia, oxygen therapy is used. Oxygen gas is poisonous to bacteria that causes gangrene. So I'm used to kill it. Carbon monoxide poisoning is treated using oxygen gas. Near pure oxygen is used in space suits and scuba tanks, (but for the scuba tanks I'm normally mixed with regular air). Oxygen tanks are also found in submarines and airplanes, (but they're only used for emergencies). Rockets use liquid oxygen to burn fuel and generate lift. Commercially produced oxygen converts iron ore into steele. Scientists use the ratio of 2 isotopes of oxygen (18 and 16) in skeletons to find what the climate was like thousands of years ago. Pure oxygen is used to ensure the complete combustion of different chemicals. Oxygen is used to treat water and cut and weld metals.




Oxygen Therapy




That's mostly what our modern society uses me for. Most living cells use oxygen too, but that's obvious. This is pretty much the end of the list. However aside from being all good, I can also cause harm. I have the power to rust and eventually damage strong metals like iron, increase the chances or rapid spreading of fire and explosions and even damage cells of living beings that rely on me to survive. This is known as oxygen toxicity which is a concern for people breathing in high concentrations of supplemental oxygen regularly which can harm their lungs.


When using me be aware that there are no:



  • Open fires.
  • LPG or other fuel gases (includes gas stoves and gas fires).
  • Oils, including cooking oils and lubricating oils.
  • Petrol, kerosene and paint solvents..

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the informations! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all of the information Oxygen..if that your real name. Thank you so much! I got a 100 on my Science about oxygen for your information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very useful during quaretine.

    ReplyDelete